By God’s design, dads are the ones who speak protection, provision, and identity over children. I want to stir up the anointing that each father has to speak protection and covering over their child. I implore you to rise up as the superhero that you are in your child’s life and cover them with the cape of your words.
Here are some creative ways to communicate covering to your child:
- Put a big blanket around your back and outstretch your arms like wings.
- Come to them and pull them close under your wing and tell them that just like the blanket offers shelter, you are there to cover and protect them.
- Read with them Matthew 18:10 and show them that they have a personal angel assigned to them.
- Put your hand over their heart and pray over them. Tell them that you are so glad God allowed you to be their dad and that you take your job to keep them safe seriously.
- Validate that a lot is going on in the world right now but that they are safe and secure in your house.
- Ask them if they are worried or concerned about anything and process it together. Just asking alone makes them feel safe and secure.
- Gather the family and read out loud Psalms 91. Act out parts of the verse to help them understand deeper.
- Intentionally speak their love language today. If you do not know what it is, take the online quiz as a family to discover each person’s language of love.
Break agreement with the lie that your wife is better at this stuff than you are. God has given you a powerful role to speak protection over your family, and they need to be reminded of that in this hour when so much is swirling around in the atmosphere. Go be their superhero!
P.S. This is for dads of children of all ages. Adult children need to hear words of protection and covering over their fathers too. Pick up the phone and leave them a voicemail or shoot them a message.